1. ‘You shall have no other gods before Me.’ That’s a bit unfair for all of us not born in a Christian country and/or to Christian parents, don’t you think? I mean, do you really think you would not have Allah as your god if you were born in Pakistan to Muslim parents?
2. ‘You shall not make for yourself a carved image–any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.’ So does this means that all sculptors are evil or only those that sculpt God, Jesus or the Virgin Mary? If so, then every Catholic church is a den of iniquity.
3. ‘You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.’ What does this even mean? I’ll assume it means you may not question or criticize God. If I look at today’s world leaders, the ones demanding not to be questioned or criticized are often the tyrants. Only the democratic leaders are open to criticism.
4. ‘Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.’ Why? What is so special about the Sabbath? Do you really believe that God created the entire universe in six days and then rested on the seventh and that we should all rest on this day as a result? Come on.
5. ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ Tell that to a child who’s father sodomizes him every night.
6. ‘You shall not murder.’ Okay, it took until number six to find something resembling morality. Not rocket science though, hey? I’m pretty certain my conscience would stop me murdering even if I had never laid eyes on the 10 Commandments.
7. ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ Ditto.
8. ‘You shall not steal.’ Ditto.
9. ‘You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.’ I presume this means one should not lie. Ditto.
10. ‘You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.’ How can it be wrong to desire something belonging to someone else? Desiring something happens in your thoughts. It does not hurt your neighbor. How can that be wrong?
So, in summary then, only numbers 6, 7, 8 and 9 are of any use. And all these dictate is that one does not murder, commit adultery, steal and lie. Hardly a conclusive moral code: It appears okay to enslave and rape other humans (including children). Thank God I have a conscience!
- 10 + 1 Questions For You All! (britishfemaleatheist.wordpress.com)
- An agnostic view on The Ten(Twelve) Commandments (tthread.wordpress.com)
- A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I’m a Good Christian